Monday, April 11, 2011

A Magical Spell of Creativity and Thought


She makes her own costumes too!

Mary Lynn Maloney is a busy lady.  She, her husband, and two furry feline kids, live in Port Townsend, Washington.  Her wonderful collage/assemblage paintings are represented in a local gallery, she has her own online Etsy shop, she has been known to dabble in graphic design, event planning, and sewing and designing her own (and hubbies!) Ren Faire costumes.   Mary Lynn has also written two craft books, Decorated Boxes and Memory Art .  Oh, yea and she's my stepmom.  I wondered how she found peace amongst all this creating!  
Mary Lynn's words:
"I crave solitude. Always have. When I was little, I loved solitary activities the best. I enjoyed poring over books, especially those with great pictures (fairy tales, kids encyclopedia, lives of the saints....a favorite of mine in our catholic school library: some swell medieval garb sported by the saints). I loved playing paper dolls, or making stuff with glue, yarn and fabric. I liked playing with my siblings and friends alot, but I always sought out quiet time doing just what I wanted. It was peaceful and calm and a good time to ponder things.

This love of solitude has stayed with me and I have to say it remains my peaceful spot. I feel most centered and grounded when I just get to sit and do whatever creative thing I want, or nothing at all. It gets even better, though, when I'm way into a design or art project. I get immersed and caught up in the creative process and just flow. Some people call it being in the zone; I refer to it as going to level two. So, my peaceful spot isn't really a physical place, it's being caught up in that solitary, magical spell of creativity and thought."
To see the fruit of Mary Lynn's solitary pursuits visit http://www.topfloordesigns.net/ or http://www.celticbelle.etsy.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment