Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Losing Control

A friend of mine on Facebook posted a quote from Psalms quite a few months back that said something like, “Let God take what is in your hands, so that he can give you what’s in His.”   I liked it at the time and copied it into a word document that I keep of quotes that I like.   I happened to be cleaning up my files at work and came across the document containing the quote.  And as usual, the Universe sent me something that I needed to hear that day, and every day since.  We are in the process of moving to Vermont.  It’s been our dream for almost six years now, and we’ve just decided to stop dreaming and just go for it.  So I have been on the job hunt.  I’ve had several interviews and have seen several apartments that I would love us to live in.  However, in order to move, all the stars have to align.   And this requires patience. I have yet to mention that I am a control freak.   I want to be able to orchestrate everything and have it all fall into place and happen tomorrow.    But this effort requires the will of others, not just mine.  It’s a hard pill to swallow and I have to remind myself daily, that I have to turn over some of the control.    I know that anything that I could construct on my own will be so much greater if I give into the help of a higher power and the help of others.   I have to breath, stop obsessing, and realize that I have taken the actions I can to make the move possible, now I just have to patiently wait for a little trail magic.  I have faith that it will happen because I am working hard for it, but I also know that I have to find the lesson in everything along the way.  This is what builds character.   I have had to get really honest about what I want from a career, have realized that I can’t live as rurally as I thought I could, noticed that the interview process has really changed in the last two years, and there are some really great people in Vermont who I have only spoken with by email, but want to meet for coffee when we get there.   So, I will breathe, slow down my thoughts, stop checking my email every 20 minutes, and let God take what’s in my hands, so he can give me what’s in His. 

1 comment:

  1. Good idea. There are times when it is right to charge forward bravely, risking all or nothing. Conversely, forcing things can sometimes backfire.
    Although it too often does so very, very quietly, when the universe speaks and you manage to hear its whisper, it is a good idea to listen.

    ReplyDelete